Gold-Filled Jewelry Care
Gold-filled jewelry can last a long time, but it depends on your lifestyle and where you live. Here's some tips and tricks that can help you get the most out of your HC jewelry.
- Wipe your gold-filled jewelry with your HC Pink Polishing Cloth after each use to remove any dirt or debris.
- Remove your jewelry before you swim in chlorine or salt water.
- Remove your jewelry before participating in activities that will cause you to sweat a lot.
- Wait to put on your jewelry until after you have applied lotion, makeup or perfume.
- Remove jewelry if you will be bringing it into contact with something hard. (For example, take off your ring before lifting weights.)
- Store your plated jewelry where it won’t rub against other hard substances (a soft bag—one per piece of jewelry—is ideal).
And don't forget to take your jewelry off before you sleep!
If you know that your piece has been exposed to even more than normal (ex: sunscreen, extra humidity, chlorinated pools, salt water, etc.) or it's just been a while since you have last cleaned it, you can do a deeper clean by following the steps below:
- Prepare bowl of warm water with a tiny squeeze of a mild, clear dish soap, and mix them together.
- Let your piece soak in the soapy water for a minute.
- Gently brush off your piece with a very soft toothbrush, paying extra attention to the areas where the dirt builds up (ex. chain loops, under bezels, etc.) If you don't have a spare toothbrush, a soft cloth will also work.
- Rinse thoroughly, several times if necessary, to make sure all of the soap is rinsed off. Left over soap residue can accelerate the wear of gold-filled pieces.
- Dry piece thoroughly before wearing or storing your jewelry.